I know that Father's Day was yesterday, but I think any day is a good day to honor our dads. I wasn't able to spend the day with my dad Sunday, but I certainly wanted to. I couldn't think of anything better to give him than to simply tell of how great a man he is through a blog post just for him. Dad has so many traits, plays so many roles, and touches many lives. To our family and others, he is many things.
For me, Dad is:
Coach- I don't remember one summer going by without Dad volunteering his time to coach my softball teams. And boy was he gifted at it. Not every man can coach girls. You have to take a totally different approach with females (shocking, right?). Dad is one of those rare coaches who always knew what lines not to cross but also knew how to motivate and pump us up. My teammates always loved Dad, making me a pretty proud daughter.
Escort- All the major events in my life have included Dad being there to escort me or lead me. I will never forget Homecoming of senior year. I felt pure joy to have my dad escort me across Scott Field in Davis Wade Stadium. After all, he was the reason I attended State anyway. He instilled that maroon blood in me from childhood, so I had him to thank. Though it was an insanely nerve-racking moment to walk on a grassy football field in high heels with 50,000+ fans watching, I was calm with Dad's arm to grab.
Fan- Growing up, Dad would always say, "Remember, when no one else believes in you, I believe in you." And he truly did. No matter what crazy idea I might have or what lofty aspiration I came up with, Dad was the first to verbalize his support and affirm me. What a blessing!
Horse Trainer- If it wasn't for Dad, I would have probably never gotten on a horse. I was intimated by these big, beautiful animals from a young age. But living on a farm with horses and land to ride didn't leave much room for this fear. Thankfully I had a great teacher to show me just how it was done. I'm just now feeling confident in riding, and I owe that to the truest cowboy I know...just after John Wayne.
Spiritual Leader- How rare it is to find a man who truly walks with the Lord and can lead you in that way! One of the most valuable roles Dad has played in my life is teaching and leading me in my faith. As a Sunday school teacher, Dad has a broad knowledge of the Bible. I have always been able to go to him with any questions about the Bible and doctrine. Whenever I got confused on a certain story, I knew where I would find some clarity. But more importantly, Dad leads by example. He lives by a standard as a child under Christ.
Comical Relief- Anyone who knows Dad knows just how crazy and fun he can be. Every family needs someone to make everyone laugh and lighten the mood. Dad has served this role well for a family dominated by all females who could be high-strung at times. One way that Dad provides this lightness to any situation is through his infamous sayings or phrases. Dad could write a book full of Southern "where on earth did you come up with that" sayings. One day we three girls want to make a coffee table book of strictly Dad's phrases. A few I can think of are:
"If I say it's going to rain, get your umbrella out."
"If I say a rooster dips snuff, you can check under its wing for the can." (Now Brandon uses this one too... lovely.)
"If I tell you it's Sunday, you better dust your Bible off."
"I almost quit school because they had recess; I don't play."
People just listen to Dad...especially guys. I have been blessed with many friends along my way, and part of it could be credited to Dad. I'm pretty sure my friends are just as comfortable and happy visiting with him than they are me. I had a camp-out with some friends from school last semester, and many of the guys ended up hanging out and listening to what Dad had to say. They respect him and enjoy his take on things. So to Dad I say, thanks for being cool :)
Perhaps one of the biggest gifts a father could give to his children is to be a good husband to their mom. Nothing makes a home feel right more than a sound relationship between the parents. I am beyond grateful for the husband and man Dad has been to our wonderful, sweet, and beautiful mother. Dad affirms her, supports her, loves her, flirts with her, and is proud to have her by his side. How priceless this picture of marriage is!
I could go on and on about what my dad is to me and countless others, but that would require much more room than a blog provides. So here is a small tribute to you, Dad. Here is to the man you are in our home, church, and community. We are all better because of your influence. I love you, Dad.
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10
Praise God for a Dad who certainly does good.







No comments:
Post a Comment